- Bee Meadow
- Cottage Garden
- Cypress Pool
- Hacklebarney Field
- Hillside Pasture
- Lilac Collection
- Long Meadow
- Monarda Meadow
- Pan’s Garden
- Rockery, Chive Walk and Rosarie
- Winter Garden
- To maintain the beauty of the arboretum please enjoy viewing the plants but do not touch, damage or collect any plant material.
- Please do not climb on trees or shrubs or step into garden beds. Don’t wade or drop items into the brooks and pools.
- PLEASE follow Social Distancing Guidelines and wear masks for everyone’s safety.
- Please, no pets, no smoking and no active sports.
- No Smoking Permitted at Willowwood
- Enjoy a picnic lunch or tapas while watching a sunset, but please dispose of trash properly.
- PROFESSIONAL Photographers must obtain a permit for photo sessions from the Morris County Park Commission. Call 862-325-7756 for reservations and further information. See our FAQ page for more information.
Within the core garden area surrounding the Tubbs residence are several formal gardens: Pan’s Garden, the Cottage Garden and the Rosarie. However, the pervading feeling at Willowwood is one of pleasant informal paths through open areas and woodland, all carefully developed since Henry and Robert bought the property in 1908. Collecting and growing distinctive plants of all kinds became the continuing hobby of the brothers for half a century and many specimens date from their initial plantings.
The gardens and trails are open Daily 8 am to Dusk, and are free to the public. For everyone’s safety, please abide by current health recommendations.
Additional Information About the Gardens
We have three pages about our gardens that should of interest to visitors:
First is a live map with descriptions of each area appearing as you move your cursor over the map. Click here to go to the garden map page.
The second page holds lengthier descriptions of each of the gardens and structures on the property. Click here for the Garden Description page.
Finally, the third page gives seasonal highlights of the Willowwood Arboretum. Click here for the Seasonal Highlights page.
Introducing the Morris County Park Commission and Willowwood Horticulture Staff
Director of Historic and Interpretive Sites
BRUCE CRAWFORD. Manager of Horticulture
Superintendent of Horticulture Maintenance, WW & BB
Assistant Superintendent of Horticulture: Willowwood, Bamboo Brook, Kay Center
JUDY SCHAIBLE (retired 2021)
Superintendent of Horticulture, Frelinghuysen Arboretum
KRISTE SHAW (retired 2021)
DYLAN SHAPIRO, Gardener, Willowwood
MEGAN BROWN, Assistant Gardener, Willowwood
JEREMY BUSSE, Assistant Gardener